Department of Anesthesiology

You are here

Functional coupling of the beta(1) subunit to the large conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channel in the absence of Ca(2+). Increased Ca(2+) sensitivity from a Ca(2+)-independent mechanism.

TitleFunctional coupling of the beta(1) subunit to the large conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channel in the absence of Ca(2+). Increased Ca(2+) sensitivity from a Ca(2+)-independent mechanism.
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2000
AuthorsNimigean CM, Magleby KL
JournalJ Gen Physiol
Volume115
Issue6
Pagination719-36
Date Published2000 Jun
ISSN0022-1295
KeywordsCalcium, Cell Line, Dose-Response Relationship, Drug, Electric Stimulation, Electrophysiology, Humans, Ion Channel Gating, Kidney, Kinetics, Large-Conductance Calcium-Activated Potassium Channel alpha Subunits, Large-Conductance Calcium-Activated Potassium Channels, Membrane Potentials, Models, Molecular, Potassium Channels, Potassium Channels, Calcium-Activated, Protein Structure, Tertiary, Stimulation, Chemical
Abstract

Coexpression of the beta(1) subunit with the alpha subunit (mSlo) of BK channels increases the apparent Ca(2+) sensitivity of the channel. This study investigates whether the mechanism underlying the increased Ca(2+) sensitivity requires Ca(2+), by comparing the gating in 0 Ca(2+)(i) of BK channels composed of alpha subunits to those composed of alpha+beta(1) subunits. The beta(1) subunit increased burst duration approximately 20-fold and the duration of gaps between bursts approximately 3-fold, giving an approximately 10-fold increase in open probability (P(o)) in 0 Ca(2+)(i). The effect of the beta(1) subunit on increasing burst duration was little changed over a wide range of P(o) achieved by varying either Ca(2+)(i) or depolarization. The effect of the beta(1) subunit on increasing the durations of the gaps between bursts in 0 Ca(2+)(i) was preserved over a range of voltage, but was switched off as Ca(2+)(i) was increased into the activation range. The Ca(2+)-independent, beta(1) subunit-induced increase in burst duration accounted for 80% of the leftward shift in the P(o) vs. Ca(2+)(i) curve that reflects the increased Ca(2+) sensitivity induced by the beta(1) subunit. The Ca(2+)-dependent effect of the beta(1) subunit on the gaps between bursts accounted for the remaining 20% of the leftward shift. Our observation that the major effects of the beta(1) subunit are independent of Ca(2+)(i) suggests that the beta(1) subunit mainly alters the energy barriers of Ca(2+)-independent transitions. The changes in gating induced by the beta(1) subunit differ from those induced by depolarization, as increasing P(o) by depolarization or by the beta(1) subunit gave different gating kinetics. The complex gating kinetics for both alpha and alpha+beta(1) channels in 0 Ca(2+)(i) arise from transitions among two to three open and three to five closed states and are inconsistent with Monod-Wyman-Changeux type models, which predict gating among only one open and one closed state in 0 Ca(2+)(i).

Alternate JournalJ. Gen. Physiol.
PubMed ID10828246
PubMed Central IDPMC2232893
Grant ListAR32805 / AR / NIAMS NIH HHS / United States